Search This Blog

Monday, October 24, 2005

It's called a bargain

So I was looking in my refrigerator the other day for something to eat and I realized there was nothing there... Time to go shopping.
I don't have a car, so all my shopping is either done with my parents (who can chauffeur me around from store to store), or alone (where I walk from store to store). Of these two options, neither is very appealing.

Walking is very tiring, especially when you're carrying around 20+ pounds of groceries from store to store. And I can't go very far walking (maybe a radius of 20 city blocks).
Shopping with Mom is also not appealing to me. It's not that we can't get along, it's just that we have different methods of shopping. I look at the advertisements in the paper and then go shopping. When I get to the grocery store, I take maybe 20 minutes shopping, checkout, then go home. Mom goes to the grocery store, gets the advertisements there, sits down somewhere and goes over every advertisement with the tireless energy of an editor looking for typos. Then after 30+ minutes, she buys one or two items and says she'll go somewhere else for the rest of the groceries.
I don't seem to have the level of patience to travel around from store to store looking for the best deals. Especially with the price of gasoline these days. I would think it would be better to look for deals and shop at the stores closest to home.
So anyway, Mom decided to go shopping for me. I asked her to find me a good deal of eggs, ham, coffee, and cheese.
Here's what I got, when she got back from the store.
  • 1 HUGE bone-in ham
  • 6 cartons - 1½ dozen eggs each
  • 4 cans of coffee
  • 4 blocks of cheese
Now, don't get me wrong. I buy in bulk too. I just don't buy quite so much bulk.
When I asked why she had to buy so much... she said, "You should buy in bulk when you see a deal. It's called a bargain."

No comments: